Walthamstow Tool Library (WTL) is a tool lending library in 2a Priory Court with a special focus on garden and DIY tools and the mission to make tools both accessible and affordable, while reducing the need to purchase new tools and consequently our impact on the environment. The project was developed by residents of William Morris Big Local, made possible by WMBL funding and is now run by Forest Recycling Project.
Our joint aim is to become a vibrant community hub that connects people and ideas to make our lives and surroundings greener, healthier and more inclusive!
We’ve received funding to enable local people to run activities in our community. Find out how to apply on “WTL Summer Activity Grants“
Our shredder died! If you have a spare one at home, do please consider donating it to us!
WTL MEMBERSHIP for £10-40 / YEAR
Have a browse on our online inventory and create an account with us to get access to hundreds of tools! The membership lasts for one year and enables you to get up to 5 items at one time. The default loan period is one week, but with a possibility to renew it up to two. For more info about becoming a member, go to https://walthamstowtl.myturn.com/library.
We are always looking for donations to stock and diversify our inventory. If you would like to donate any good condition tools, check our wish list below and email email@example.com.
Please note, that we might also consider selling some donated tools if we have too many of one type, in order to raise money and help keep the library up and running.
We provide a tool sharpening service for both members & non-members. You can get up to 3 hand tools sharpened at one time. Members get this service for free (up to 6 tools per year) and can simply book the “item” on the system. Non-members can book by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and will need to pay £3 per tool. Please note that we can only accept cash at the moment.
We’re aiming to sharpen your items within a week, if we need more time, we will notify you. We accept the following tools: secateurs, loppers, shears, kitchen knives, and some lawn mower blades – it is best to let us know beforehand what tools you are bringing. Please be aware that we are not able to sharpen saws at this point!
Have you got spare seeds or plants? We’ve created a little seed library in our tool library, so that you can swap seeds while borrowing tools. You can bring and/or take seeds during our opening times or drop them off at the tool library seed drop box in a labeled envelope anytime. Plants/seedlings can be left in our plant swap house outside the library or be kept for one of our plant swap events.
Not so sure how to sow & grow? Download our how-to-sow-seeds guide, that’ll help you get started.
Volunteers are very much the heart of our operation, we couldn’t do it without them! WTL volunteers mainly help out during our opening times as well as our events. The tasks vary from cataloguing items, fixing tools to running a workshop or a social media campaign…
As a WTL volunteer, you’ll become part of a lovely, supportive lil community, learn new skills, and get access to plenty of tools! Have a look at our different volunteer roles, and get in touch if you would like to get involved: email@example.com.
Currently we are looking for someone who is available to volunteer on a Tuesday! So please get in touch!
HOW to FIND & CONTACT US
Our library is based at 2a Priory Court, E17 5LS. It’s the road’s smallest building with the largest & most beautiful mural, created by local kids and artist Lorraine Ward. Public Transport: Victoria line & Overground to Blackhorse Road, Bus W11 & 123 to Higham Hill Road (Stop S).
QUESTIONS or SUGGESTIONS?
Send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, we usually check the account on a Tuesday and a Friday. You can also call us on 07933 710644 during our opening times. To receive regular updates and info, please join the Walthamstow Tool Library mailing list and follow us on Instagram.
WTL Newsletter Archive
- 22#5 – about our July events, tea blending, and mini ponds
- 22#4 – about our summer activities (part I), tool donors, and three sisters
- 22#3 – all about our new summer activity grants
- 22#2 – about Green up Priory Court Spring Fair and William Morris Birthday Celebrations
- 22#1 – about gift economies, our seed saving workshop & community bike pump
- Winter 2021 – about WTL Gift Cards, wildlife habitats & bike maintenance
- October 2021 – about COP26, bulbs & our new crowdfunder
- September 2021 – about our first anniversary, our new fruit press & about saving seed
- Summer 2021 – about winter seeds & cuttings, regular sharpenings & finished murals
- June 2021 – about our mural & sharpening service pilot, seedling swap house, tomato care, natural fertiliser & greening up Priory Court
- May 2021 – about consumables, our 1. seedling swap, planting out, slug control & making compost
- April 2021 – about hardening off seedlings, preparing beds, “NoMowMay” & our extended team
- March 2021 – about WMBL’s grand sunflower competition, sowing seed (part 2) & how to build windowsill planter
Walthamstow Tool Library Wish List
Garden Hand Tools
- SHREDDER / WOOD CHIPPER
- garden secateurs, snips
- hedge shears, topiary shears
- loppers, long lopper
- pruning saw, pole/tree pruner
- bow saw with dry blades, bow saw with wet blades, brush saw
- patio knife
- hand trowels, hand forks
- shovels, rabbit spade
- mattock, wrecking bar, post banger
- small axe, splitting axe, two handed axe
- dutch hoe, garden hoe, spud hoe
- soil tiller, hand soil tiller
- sythe, hand sickle
- lawn edger, lawn edge cutter
- moss roller, remover
- bulb planters, seeder
- fruit picker
- mesh riddle
- hose reel and hose
Carpentry Tools & Power Tools
- electric sanders: orbital, sheet, belt, detail, drywall
- impact driver & battery drills (e.g. Makita, Dewalt, Bosch, Black & Decker)
- battery & corded saws: jigsaw, circular saw, plunge saw
- battery small angle grinder & router
- biscuit joiner
- cordless grass trimmer, cordless hedge trimmer
- chisels, squares, marking gauges etc
- sledge hammer, lump hammer, rubber mallet, pick axe
- hand saws: tenon, panel, rip
- long spirit levels, string levels
- clamps: G or F-clamps, sash clamps
Other Items for the Library
- Metal Bike Locker (or something similar) as additional tool storage space
- gazebo, 4 fold-up tables, 4 fold-up chairs
- electrical bench grinder
- socket set, extension cable on reel
Please contact us if you have any other items that you think would help or if you have a specific tool wish. Thank you for your support!