Walthamstow Tool Library (WTL) is a tool lending library in 2a Priory Court with a special focus on garden and DIY tools and the mission to make tools both accessible and affordable, while reducing the need to purchase new tools and consequently our impact on the environment. The project was developed by residents of William Morris Big Local, made possible by WMBL funding and is now run by Forest Recycling Project.
Our joint aim is to become a vibrant community hub that connects people and ideas to make our lives and surroundings greener, healthier and more inclusive!
WTL Membership for £10-40 / Year
We are always looking for donations to help stock and diversify this new resource. If you would like to donate any good condition garden related or DIY tools, check our wish list below and email email@example.com
NEW! Regular Tool Sharpening
We provide a tool sharpening service for our members, where you can get up to 3 hand tools sharpened for free. Simply book the “item” on the system and select a time slot to bring your tools to the library. We’re aiming to sharpen your items within a week, if we need more time, we will renew your “loan” for another week and notify you. We accept the following tools: secateurs, loppers, shears, kitchen knives – best to let us know what you are bringing in the note/request section. Please note that we are not able to sharpen saws at this point!
Seeds & Seedlings
Have you got a glut of seeds or plants? We’ve created a little seed library in our tool library, so that you can swap seeds while borrowing tools. Similarly, do you have any spare seedings or plants? These could be from the garden where the plants have multiplied too much or plants that have needed separating. You can bring and/or take seeds during our opening times or drop them off at the tool library seed drop box in a labeled envelope anytime. Plants/seedlings can be kept for one of our plant swap days. Not so sure how to sow & grow? Download our how-to-sow-seeds guide, that’ll help you get started.
How to Find & Contact Us
Our library is based at 2a Priory Court, E17 5LS. It’s the road’s smallest building with the largest & most beautiful mural, created by local kids and artist Lorraine Ward. Public Transport: Victoria line & Overground to Blackhorse Road, Bus W11 & 123 to Higham Hill Road (Stop S).
Questions or Suggestions?
Send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, we usually check the account on a Tuesday and a Friday. You can also call us on 07933 710644 during our opening times. To receive regular updates and info, please join the Walthamstow Tool Library mailing list and follow us on Instagram.
WTL Newsletter Archive
- Winter 2021 – about WTL Gift Cards, wildlife habitats & bike maintenance
- October 2021 – about COP26, bulbs & our new crowdfunder
- September 2021 – about our first anniversary, our new fruit press & about saving seed
- Summer 2021 – about winter seeds & cuttings, regular sharpenings & finished murals
- June 2021 – about our mural & sharpening service pilot, seedling swap house, tomato care, natural fertiliser & greening up Priory Court
- May 2021 – about consumables, our 1. seedling swap, planting out, slug control & making compost
- April 2021 – about hardening off seedlings, preparing beds, “NoMowMay” & our extended team
- March 2021 – about WMBL’s grand sunflower competition, sowing seed (part 2) & how to build windowsill planter
- February 2021 – about sowing seed (part 1), our seed drop box and a wonderful community project with WFSCP
- January 2021 – about seeds, our seed library & winter pruning
- December 2020 – all about tree planting, alternative Christmas trees & tree decorations
- November 2020 – mulching, a WMBL greening project & our feature in Waltham Forest Echo
- October 2020 – everything about WTL, its vision & mission, memberships & its team
Walthamstow Tool Library Wish List
Garden Hand Tools
- garden secateurs, snips
- hedge shears, topiary shears
- loppers, long lopper
- pruning saw, pole/tree pruner
- bow saw with dry blades, bow saw with wet blades, brush saw
- patio knife
- hand trowels, hand forks
- shovels, rabbit spade
- mattock, wrecking bar, post banger
- small axe, splitting axe, two handed axe
- dutch hoe, garden hoe, spud hoe
- soil tiller, hand soil tiller
- sythe, hand sickle
- lawn edger, lawn edge cutter
- moss roller, remover
- bulb planters, seeder
- fruit picker
- mesh riddle
- hose reel and hose
Carpentry Tools & Power Tools
- electric sanders: orbital, sheet, belt, detail, drywall
- battery drills (e.g. Makita, Dewalt, Bosch, Black & Decker)
- battery & corded saws: jigsaw, circular saw, plunge saw
- battery small angle grinder & router
- biscuit joiner
- cordless grass trimmer, cordless hedge trimmer
- chisels, squares, marking gauges etc
- sledge hammer, lump hammer, rubber mallet, pick axe
- hand saws: tenon, panel, rip
- long spirit levels, string levels
- clamps: G or F-clamps, sash clamps
Other Items for the Library
- gazebo, 4 fold-up tables, 4 fold-up chairs
- good quality coffee machine
- socket set, extension cable on reel
- stiff bristled sweeping brushes
Please contact us if you have any other items that you think would help or if you have a specific tool wish. Thank you for your support!